This past decade certainly hasn’t slacked in the creativity department. We saw waist-trainers, toning shoes, cookie diets, and even that dreaded “weight-loss” lollipop trend that took over my Instagram feed at one point. All opinions aside, it’s only fair we give a round of applause for innovative thinking. There definitely were some promising trends that stuck better than others. Take coconut water for example. Rather than following the same pattern as other short-lived health trends, coconut water has become a preferred drink for health junkies across the globe. It really is that good.
Now, some of you reading this may be thinking, “I don’t drink coconut water, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not invested in my own health…” We hear you. Trust us, we’re no stranger to the plethora of sports drink options that exist out there. Some of you may prefer plain bottles of water as your go-to thirst quencher du jour, and that’s completely fine. But what if we told you that many of your beloved sports drinks contain several additives, including extra sugar, caffeine, preservatives and even added sodium? What if we also mentioned that coconut water can hydrate your body with essential nutrients that are otherwise absent in a standard bottle of water?
The Amazing Benefits
Coconut water is a great, all-natural product to hydrate with. It’s chalk-full of naturally occurring electrolytes that allow consumers to hydrate much quicker without filling their bodies with unnecessary chemicals. The electrolytes found within coconut water include:
- Potassium – Gives our brain, nervous system, and muscles a much-needed boost while replenishing our energy levels and strength
- Sodium – Provides our bodies with the strength necessary to keep going. We lose a lot through our sweat, so it is crucial we fuel ourselves with this essential electrolyte
- Calcium – Promotes strength and recovery after exercise
- Phosphorus – Helps the body create more ATP, which is used to store energy
- Magnesium – Helps the body maintain normal nerve and muscle function, keep our bones strong, and supports our immune system. A single bottle of coconut water contains about 14% of our recommended daily magnesium intake!
Coconut water contains far lower calories and grams of sugar when compared to popular sports drinks. It is naturally sweetened, so no extra sugar is needed! Likewise, coconut water contains cytokines, which are a loose category of small proteins that help regulate the body’s response to disease and infection. A single bottle of coconut water is also rich in antioxidants. These help by absorbing the free radicals and toxins that we produce inside our bodies when we are stressed or injured.
So, honestly, what are you waiting for? Next time you put yourself through a tough workout or find yourself craving something refreshing, try substituting your go-to choice with a bottle of coconut water instead. The benefits are too great to pass up!